Happy Tuesday everyone:)
Summertime is among us and that has myself and Mike craving some home improvement projects. We have decided this summer to tackle our kitchen… Our very very “stuck in the 70’s” kitchen.
We both like a clean and bright look, so we are thinking to go with a light grey and white theme with brassy/gold accents. The image below is one of my favourite photos for my inspiration and the grey colour we will most likely go with.
I’ve also been adding to this list of features for the kitchen:
- Im thinking these shaker style doors with beading. I love how it kind of gives the door a slight traditional look while at the same time looking current.
- This faucet I am IN LOVE with! I’ve always loved the look of these vintage faucets. The detail and curves are so beautiful. I just think they add such an elegant touch.
- We have decided to opt out for a single sink without dividers. We love the look of the apron sink. Like the doors, I think it adds that rustic and traditional look while still being current.
- We are choosing goldish/brassy elements for the hardware in the kitchen.
- As for storage, this is where I go nuts! We want everything to have a home in our kitchen. So far we have decided to have a cupboard dedicated for the cutting boards and baking sheets like shown above. We also will be putting in a appliance garage (I think that’s what they are called…) for our blender, toaster oven, etc.
- I don’t know if you have all seen those super giant packages of plastic wrap they sell at Costco?!? Me and Mike first bought one when we first got married. Almost 2 years later and we are still working on it. Talk about an investment lol! Any who, It always annoys me when that big box is sitting on the counter and it’s even more annoying when I have to reach into the cupboards to get it. So we are designing the top drawers of the kitchen to be deep enough to hold the plastic wrap. This way it’s super easy and quick to access. Not going to lie, I know this is going to be one of my favourite aspects of our kitchen! 😂
- Another design element we want to include is the placement of the apron sink shown above. We loved how the whole cabinet holding the sink comes out slightly from the rest. The decorative spindles in the corners also add the perfect rustic charm. Something I also liked about this design is having that extra counter space behind the tap. So far, I find the window sill in my kitchen is the only spot in the house that allows my plants to survive. 🙌 Maybe I’m not such a plant killer after all.
- The opposite end of our kitchen is currently empty. In this corner we will be adding more counter space and lower cabinets. Instead of also adding upper cabinetry we will be doing 2 floating shelves like shown above. I’m picturing this to be our baking/prep counter. On the shelves I can store jars filled with baking ingredients and some pretty dishes too ;).
So far that is the direction we are taking our kitchen in. What are your thoughts?! Or do you have any ideas/recommendations for us? We are all ears! I feel like a kitchen renovation is definitely one of those things you need the advice of those who have been there!